Unified Government of Cusseta-Chattahoochee
Chattahoochee County, named for the Chattahoochee River that forms the county’s western border, was created February 14, 1854, from parts of Marion and Muscogee counties. Cusseta, the county seat, was incorporated on December 22, 1855. The county courthouse, in Cusseta, was constructed in 1854, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Chattahoochee County is home to the Fort Benning Military Reservation. It was founded at the beginning of the first World War and was named for General Henry Lewis Benning, a Confederate general.
Communities in Chattahoochee County include Fort Benning South and Cusseta, which is the county seat.