Schley County

Learn more about this RVRC County below:

County
Map

Links &
Resources

County
Data

Planning
Documents

About

Schley County was created in 1857 from parts of Marion and Sumter counties. Georgia’s 122nd county was named for Georgia Governor William Schley. The name of the county is pronounced “sly.”

Built in 1899, the county courthouse is on the National Register of Historic Places. The clock tower, once known as the “Leaning Tower of Ellaville,” was straightened and reinforced in 1991.

The City of Ellaville was named for Ella Burton, the daughter of the man who sold the land for the town site.

The main community in Schley County is Ellaville which is the county seat.

Planning Documents

Click the buttons below to visit or expand.