Clay County was created from parts of Early and Randolph counties in 1854. It was named for Senator Henry Clay of Kentucky. There are two incorporated municipalities within the county: Fort Gaines, the county seat, and Bluffton.
Fort Gaines grew up around a fort on the Chattahoochee River established to protect settlers during the Creek Indian Wars. The town, named for the fort’s builder, General Edmund Pendleton Gaines, became a shipping point for cotton planters for many miles on both sides of the Chattahoochee River. It remained a key market until about 1858, when railroads replaced river freight.
Communities in Clay County include Bluffton and the county seat, Fort Gaines.
Links & Resources
Click the buttons below to visit or expand.